Scan me or visit www.getinvolvednorfolk.org.uk/o/CAN-Connect/opportunities/Telephone-Befriender/54001 to join
SummaryBring joy and happiness to people who are experiencing loneliness and isolation. Befrienders can provide face to face company, or offer telephone support.
In England, 7.3% of adults often or always feel lonely. CAN Connect is a charity service that supports people (18+) experiencing loneliness and isolation in Breckland and North Norfolk, by helping them build new connections, increase their confidence, and explore activities in their local communities.
Our service provides one-to-one support by a small team of Life Connectors, however, we also rely on the valuable support of volunteer befrienders. Befrienders are matched with someone with similar interests and can offer telephone or face-to-face support. Here are some examples of ways you can support your match.
- Calling them or visiting them at home.
- Going out for walks.
- Going out for tea, coffee, or even bingo!
- Accompanying them to groups or activities they might want to try.
Take a look at one of our volunteer befrienders has to say:
Volunteering has been an absolute joy. To me, it is like checking in with a friend, making sure they are well, happy and supported. I feel content when I have made my weekly phone call; it is the best feeling being able to come away from the call knowing I have made a difference. Rosie.
Qualities required for the position:
- Active listening.
- Positive attitude.
- Being patient and reliable.
- Friendly manner and enjoy talking to people.
- Committing to either call or visit the person you are assigned to.
- Informing either the client or the volunteer coordinator if you are not able to make the call or visit you have scheduled.
- Keeping the Volunteer Co-ordinator updated and sending a monthly report of your activities.