Mencap Training Academy Governor (Remote)
Scan me or visit www.getinvolvednorfolk.org.uk/o/The-Royal-Mencap-Society/opportunities/Mencap-Training-Academy-Governor-Remote/75149 to join
SummaryWe are looking for people with experience of learning disability and the education sector to join our Education and Learning Governance Committee.
We are looking for people with experience of learning disability and the education sector to join our Education and Learning Governance Committee.
We are looking for governors to oversee our Supported Internship programme which delivers education and training to 16–24-year-olds with SEND who have an education, health and care plan.
Mencap Training Academy is a Specialist Post 16 provider, and our Supported Internship programme is regulated by Ofsted. Our aspiration is for our work to be graded as Outstanding by Ofsted. We are looking for individuals to help us to get there.
We want to drive quality, consistency and achievement in our delivery and in the way we manage, lead and govern our programmes. Our vision is to effectively support more people with a learning disability to move into paid work.
We want to set up an Education and Learning Governance Committee to provide a key governance role in the delivery programmes.
When and where the role will take place:
As a member of the Committee, you will work with our Post 16 Education Leadership and Management Team, our Executive Team and our Board of Trustees to scrutinize our delivery and advise on strategy. This role requires you to commit to attending quarterly meetings and other ad hoc meetings as required online and occasionally in person. The role is mostly homebased, with you needing access to your own device, however we ideally would like volunteers from London, Northamptonshire or Staffordshire/Birmingham as this is where are programmes are based. Some travel may be required to visit services or attend an in-person committee meeting. As a committee member you will undergo a full onboarding and induction process including a DBS check.
As a member of the Education and Learning Governance Committee you will (where possible):
- Share our vision to make the UK the best place for people with a learning disability to live happy and healthy lives
- Advise us on the implementation of our strategy; including monitoring and reporting frameworks
- Share insight, learning and contacts that can help us achieve our vision
- Provide professional advice based on experience and areas of expertise
- Provide scrutiny of decision making
- Provide mentorship and peer support to key personnel within our team
- Be a practical and hands on presence in our services when needed
- Bring enthusiasm and commitment to high quality education and learning
- Bring a solution focused approach
- Bring excellent relationship building, listening skills and communication skills
- Bring an understanding and interest in Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
We are looking for people who have skills or experience in any of the following areas:
- Experience as a supported employment specialist
- Someone with experience delivering supported internships or similar programmes as part of a bigger and wider organisation
- A parent or care giver of a person with a learning disability
- Leadership and management experience in a relevant setting
- Experience of improving quality of education and learning – inc. curriculum and resource development
- Experience of SEND provision and/or learning disabilities
- Experience of high quality performance management and driving culture change and ways of working
- Good understanding of data, information and reporting
- Ability to develop and support the implementation of a strategy
- Experience of good governance / setting up governance models
You will not need to have experience in all of these areas, and we are looking for a range of people from different backgrounds who together will cover all of the elements of the experience. For further information on what the role entails and whether your skills match what we are looking for, please take a look at the role profile and recruitment pack.
What we will provide to volunteers💸 Reimbursement of costs🤝 Extra support
About The Royal Mencap Society
Volunteer with us and support people with a learning disability to live happy and healthy lives.