Heritage Volunteer Opportunity
Scan me or visit www.getinvolvednorfolk.org.uk/o/OutThereArts/opportunities/Heritage-Volunteer-Opportunity/72521 to join
SummaryOut There Arts is looking for volunteers to learn about and celebrate the heritage of Great Yarmouth and contribute to the betterment of the town.
Out There Arts is looking for volunteers to learn about and celebrate the heritage of Great Yarmouth and contribute to the betterment of the town. This opportunity is part of the NLHF Ice House Delivery Project: the transformational, repurposing of a heritage building (The Ice House) into an arts and cultural centre to support Great Yarmouth’s cultural activities. The skills developed include oral history gathering, archive and research training with heritage professionals, management and organisation of materials.
What opportunities are available for volunteers?
Volunteers will have the opportunity to attend 15 training days over the course of two years on the heritage of the Ice House learning techniques and methods of presenting history in engaging and interesting ways. You will have access to a body of material including maps, images, articles, documents and other raw materials found throughout the development phase and from the start of the delivery phase. In addition, you will be encouraged to find your own resources as well as heritage resources from Historic England. Volunteers will receive an introduction to research methods and learn key facts about the building’s past, growing in confidence and knowledge.
Oral History Training
- 5 volunteers will get the opportunity for oral history training with a heritage professional
- Receive training in interview techniques, using a recording device and uploading material onto an editing application
- Use skills to record interviews with people about their memories and connections with the Ice House
Heritage Research Activities
- An opportunity for 5 volunteers to attend sessions with partner organisations to learn about a variety of research tools and topics around the Ice House with Great Yarmouth Library (supported by CEVC)
- Looking at newspaper stories, maps, business records and images to help inform the creation of the Heritage Resource Pack and support interpretation creation
Archive Research and Training in the Management of Archive Materials
- Volunteers will work with the newly appointed Heritage Learning Programme Content Creator who will offer training and support for volunteers to help compile, catalogue, transcribe, collage and edit the Heritage Information collected throughout the Delivery Phase including stories, oral history, imagery, archive material and curate it into accessible formats for use by other project partners and professionals