‘Fight For Home’ Group Member - Norfolk
Scan me or visit www.getinvolvednorfolk.org.uk/o/Shelter/opportunities/Fight-For-Home-Group-Member---Norfolk/71615 to join
SummaryWe’re looking for enthusiastic people to join and shape local ‘Fight For Home’ Groups.
Are you keen to use your creative energy or organisational skills to bring your community together to fight for home? We’re looking for enthusiastic people to join and shape local ‘Fight For Home’ Groups. With a team of other local volunteers, you’ll generate ideas, plan and deliver fundraising events and raise awareness of the housing emergency within your community.
- Suggested involvement: Varied, at least once a month
- Availability: This is a flexible opportunity, with meetings and events likely to take place in evenings and weekends
- Location: Norfolk
- Supervised by: Regional Community Fundraiser
Why volunteer with Shelter?
A home is a fundamental human need, as vital as education or healthcare. But in Britain today, that right is denied to millions of people whose lives are blighted by homelessness, bad housing conditions, soaring rents, discrimination and the threat of eviction. The time for change is now. Together with individuals, in communities and across society, we will lead the way for a safe home for all. But we need your help to do it.
You’ll be joining a new and exciting project – our ‘Fight For Home’ Fundraising Groups, which we’re setting up across England and Scotland. You’ll meet and volunteer with other local people who believe that home is everything and want to be part of our movement for change. You’ll be joining our passionate, fun Community Fundraising team as well as our wider community of 2,500 volunteers who fight for home in our shops and frontline services! We have committed to combat racism both within and outside of Shelter and welcome you on our journey to becoming a truly anti-racist organisation.
This is a flexible and diverse role. Here are some of the activities you might get involved in:
- Support with planned Shelter activity including fundraising in your community
- Generating fundraising ideas with the group
- Organising and hosting your own fundraising events
- Inspiring your network of contacts to support the fight for home
- Attending local events, such as Rotary meetings or community fairs, to raise awareness of Shelter and collecting donations
- Speaking about what we do and promoting national campaigns in your community
- Raising awareness of our local Community Hubs
Skills and Experiences Required
We’re looking for volunteers with a range of skills to form our Fight For Home Groups. You might have some but not all of these skills – we’d still love to hear from you!
- An interest in joining the fight for home
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work well within a team
- Enjoys planning, problem solving and participating!
- A creative self-starter
- Social media skills
Benefits of volunteering with Shelter
- Join our fight against bad housing and homelessness and become a catalyst for change!
- Meet local people and be part of a great team
- Build your confidence and develop transferable skills
- Gain valuable experience and enhance your CV
Learning & Development
To enable you to take part in this opportunity we will:
- Put you in contact with your local Community Fundraiser who will support you in the role
- Provide you with relevant policies
- Provide relevant induction, training and information
- Refund any out-of-pocket expenses in line with Shelter’s volunteer expenses policy
- Please apply by clicking on ‘Fill in an application’. After you have applied, we’ll be in touch. We’ll invite successful applicants to an recruitment conversation.
- Please note, you will be asked to declare any unspent convictions. If the role you are applying for requires you to be involved in regulated activities, we require you to undertake a basic or enhanced DBS check. Having a criminal record does not mean that you cannot volunteer with us. It may limit the different ways that you can get involved, but please contact us (using the email stated above), if you would like more information.
What we will provide to volunteers💸 Reimbursement of costs🤝 Extra support
We exist to defend the right to a safe home. Because home is everything.